January 28, 2017
There are always those jobs that you just don’t seem to get around to finishing. Small jobs that you just don’t want to do. For us, that was finishing the pine ceiling.
In October 2015, while I was off to BC to help out during Jacob’s birth, Ken had Ken C and Nestor over for a ceiling party. They put up most of the pine ceiling, but unfortunately, I had not managed to get enough boards varathaned before I left to BC. They did, however, manage to get the bulk of it done, and enough that the scaffolding occupying the living room could finally be removed. After returning from BC, Ken and I put up a few more rows, just enough to allow us to install the corner bannister posts, which run floor to ceiling. And since November 2015, those last five rows of pine on the east and west sides of the ceiling, have been waiting. And waiting. And waiting.
Putting up those boards is no walk in the park. I was pretty happy to see the boys complete the bulk of it while I was away and I know how hard they had to work to get those up. Overhead work is hard, especially when you are perched several feet up in the air. However, it had to get finished and we were very happy to have Ken C volunteer to come help. It really is a three person job – Ken C cutting and handing up boards, and Ken and I banging them in.
The east side was relatively easy, working on the walkway with the security of the bannister. The west side was scarier, balancing on a board without a bannister as a safety net. Thankfully, all went well and in a day and a half we had both east and west sides complete.
By finishing the main ceiling early, we were able to utilize Ken’s labor to bang up the pine ceiling in the master bedroom, a much easier task. The bedroom is 13 feet wide, and the pine boards are 12 feet long. To solve the pesky little one foot piece, the boys put up a spacer board on one side and the ran the 12 foot boards up to it. Then we nailed short one foot boards on the spacer board, just overlapping the 12 foot boards. It formed a small lip which we later finished with a trim board, which you can see in the picture below. It made quick work of the job and good use of the lumber.
Since the bedroom was all apart to put up the ceiling we have decided to get it finished. Besides Ken is only working on one project now – the cabinetry for the living room, and we all know he likes to have at least a couple projects on the go all the time. The room is now taped, mudded and painted. Ken did the taping and mudding and I did the painting. We are using the same brilliant blue as the downstairs bedrooms.
Now working on the hardwood floor in the master bedroom and the living room cabinets.